Located on the Pacific Ocean side of the Baja Peninsula, Bahía Magdalena, or Mag Bay, is one of the most legendary yet remote fisheries in North America. This 30-mile long bay, famous as a home to the gray whale during its southern migration, is formed by two sandy barrier islands named Isla Magdalena/Isla Margarita and provides incredible inshore and offshore light-tackle fishing.
Target species include Striped Marlin, Yellowfin Tuna, Dorado (Mahi), Yellowtail, Wahoo, Grouper, Snapper, Snook and more.
Magdalena Bay is a large sheltered bay on the Pacific side of Baja. It’s one of the longest bays on the Pacific coast, roughly the same size as San Francisco Bay. A chain of barrier islands protects the bay from the vast Pacific Ocean, creating an ideal environment for a thriving population of marine life including all the most popular species of game fish. The bay is also a hotspot for California gray whales from January to March.
The fishing in and around Magbay is out of this world. Access to the area is generally difficult, which has limited the ability for larger charter operations to move in. It’s just us, a handful of local seasonal panga fishing guides, and the occasional long-range fishing yacht passing by.
In the bay, over 70 miles of mangrove-lined channels provide a seemingly endless source of light-tackle and fly-fishing entertainment for species such as Grouper, Pargo, Snook among others. Just on the other side of the barrier islands, some of the most productive offshore banks provide world-class fishing for droves of pelagic species. One such place is Thetis Bank, where every year in November, a phenomenon happens where a huge number of striped marlin move in and “pile up.” If you time it right, it’s marlin fishing like you’ve never seen before with shots at double-digit hookups.
Traditionally accessible only by private yacht or costly 8-plus day long range trips out of San Diego, CA, our exclusive island-based package gives our customers full access to all that Mag Bay has to offer!
Lodging at Magdalena Island consists of a three room/three bath main guest house with an additional three bed/full bath cottage and a large outdoor palapa kitchen and dining area. The palapa is the main hangout and provides beautiful views of the bay while guests dine on fresh seafood and Mexican cuisine prepared by our cook.
With over a decade of experience and several packages and boat options available we are your best choice for conventional fishing, fly fishing and spearfishing in Mag Bay!
5 Nights 4 Full days of Fishing Package Based on 4 Anglers
Transportation to Island – 24’ Panga Round trip Panga ride San Carlos to house at Puerto Magdalena
● Full day fishing (typical day 7am-5pm, long runs sunup to sundown)
● Captain and crew where applicable (Deckhand on 31’)
● Lunch/Snacks/Drinks (Water, Soda, Beer)
● Fish cleaning/packaging/freezing
● Power 24/7
● Hot/Cold running water (propane water heaters)
● House with bedrooms, living room and shaded patio overlooking Mag Bay
● 4 bedrooms/4 full baths (toilet, sink, shower)
● 2 x 3 bed rooms, 2 x 2 bed rooms
● Large outdoor kitchen w/ palapa dining area with view of bay
● Full-time cook
● Hot Breakfasts/Dinners
● Lunches provided for boats
● Unlimited Bottled water/Beer/Sodas, 1 Bottle of wine x night included. Additional wine and spirits can be provided upon request.
● Main meals based upon locally available fresh fish/seafood (clams, octopus, scallops, shrimp, crab, lobster) with other options available for non-seafood eaters/allergies (beef, chicken, pork)
● Ground Transportation
● Tips for boat crew
● Tips for land based crew (cook/housekeeping)
For more information about the best times of year to visit, the available options for sportfishing trips to Magbay, and other specifics about booking with us get in touch. We can’t wait for you to experience this special place that few others get to visit and fish!
La Paz is our hub, however, we fish all around Baja, check out our other awesome locations. We can make custom packages to all locations.